Professional Tips for Preventing Frozen Pipes
Every home needs safe and reliable plumbing. Unfortunately, during the winter, cold weather can take a toll on plumbing that isn’t properly protected from chilly temperatures and lead to frozen pipes, which can lead to even more problems like burst pipes. Here are the dangers of frozen pipes and tips to help homeowners prevent them.
Complications Arising From Frozen Pipes
Living in a home with frozen pipes is bad enough because it can deprive necessary plumbing fixtures of water service. But, the more severe dangers of a frozen pipe lie in the consequences of letting pipes freeze. When lines are exposed to cold temperatures, the water within them freezes and expands, putting pressure on the pipe walls and can cause them to break or burst.
A leaking or burst pipe can lead to additional problems for a home, such as flooding, water damage, high water costs, and mold growth. So, apart from the stress of losing water service, the homeowner must also contend with the stress of waiting to see if anything worse will happen when pipes freeze.
Can Pipe Insulation Help?
Homeowners should take steps to prevent frozen pipes, and one of the most effective ways is to install pipe insulation on piping vulnerable to freezing, such as those in crawl spaces, attics, and exposed exterior piping, to ensure it is safe from the cold. Not only does the insulation help prevent pipes from freezing, but it also has many other benefits.
More benefits of insulating pipes other than preventing freezing include:
- Improved energy efficiency
- Prevents condensation and excess moisture that can lead to mold growth and corrosion
- Longer pipe lifespan by protecting against corrosion
- Reduced noise levels from the pipes
Bonus Frozen Pipe Prevention Tips
Here are a few more ways to prevent frozen pipes:
- Keep the Pipes Warm: Always keep the thermostat in the home set to at least 55°F, even if away from home or out of town, to help keep pipes warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Let the Faucet Drip: Another way to prevent pipes from freezing during freezing temperatures is to allow water to drip or trickle out of taps to keep water flowing so they don’t freeze.
- Winterize the Outdoor Plumbing: One of the major causes of burst pipes outdoors is due to homeowners forgetting to drain and remove hoses and insulating hose bibs. Since hoses and hose bibs won’t be used for the season, use premade caps to protect bibs and detach and drain hoses to remove the water.
About Super Plumbers
Super Plumbers is a family-owned and operated company serving Tyler and the surrounding areas. They offer flat-rate pricing, personalized service, and financing. Call them today for plumbing services in Tyler, TX.